First Time Users
If you’re a first time user, this guide will guide you through the process of purchasing and loading a kit from redboxsoundshop.com
- Create an Account
- Download the Memory Switch Application
- Purchase Your Memory Switch Kit
- Connect Your Computer to the Redbox
- Prepare Your Redbox Module to Accept Your Newly Purchased Kit
- Loading Your Purchased Kit into the Redbox Module
- Restart your Redbox Module
- Restoring the Original Redbox Factory Kits
- Learn More
Before you start shopping for drumkits or play along tracks, you must create an account. Just click My Account and then the Create an Account button on the following page. Before adding your Redbox Serial Number to your account, make sure you use the serial number label on the module and not the attachment bracket.
2. Download the Redbox v2 Update, Memory Switch Program, SysEx Librarian (Mac) / C6 SysEx Manager (PC), and Original Redbox Factory Kits
Go to the Support tab to enter the page containing all of the items. First, update your r.e.d.box module with the v2 software. Then click the Memory Switch Application to download it to your computer. You’ll need this program to allow your computer to communicate with the Redbox module. The SysEx Librarian (Mac) / C6 SysEx Manager (PC) will store your User Presets so you can recall your edited kits. Then click the Original Redbox Factory Kits to save the zip file containing the kits. This will insure you’ll always have the default factory kits in case you forget to save them when performing the Memory Switch process.
You’ve found the perfect kit! Once you’ve added it to your shopping cart, click the Checkout button to proceed to your account page. If you haven’t created an account yet, the site will prompt you to do so. You’ll receive an email from RedBoxSoundShop.com containing a link to download your kit. Once the file is saved to your computer, unzip the contents with your file compression software.
Turn off your Redbox module before connecting the Redbox module to your computer with a USB cable. This will allow the transfer of information via the Memory Switch application. Make sure to choose USB Audio Device from the MIDI Interface option in the Memory Switch Program menu.
*ATTN MAC USERS: If you have customized any User Kits on the Redbox module, you’ll need the SysEx Librarian program to save these settings:
- Once you've connected your RBM-20 to your computer, turn on the module and open SysEx Librarian (Mac) so it can recognize your Redbox.
- Use the dropdown menu in SysEx Libraian and choose REDBOX as the destination.
- Then click the Record Many button in order for the program to receive all of your data. The SysEx Librarian prompt will then read "Waiting For Syx".
- Go to your RBM-20 Redbox module and press the Utility button. Your select options will be
- 1. Memory
- 2. All Trigger Settings
- Choose Memory to select ALL settings and then F4 to send them via the USB cable.
- You'll see the SysEx Librarian window show it receiving all of the data.
- Once the transfer process is completed, restart your Redbox module.
*ATTN Windows XP/Vista/Win7 PC USERS: If you have customized any User Kits on the Redbox module, you’ll need the C6 SysEx Manager program to save these settings:
Before you start, make sure that all of your cables are connected properly.
- To save your RBM-20 User Edits, open the C6 SysEx Manager application.
- Click Configure.
- Choose USB Device (or Redbox) in the MIDI Preferences window.
- Click OK.
- Go to your RBM-20 module, press Utility/SYS (F4) to access the SysEx Send window.
- Choose 1.) All Memory (sends all edits) or 2.) All Trigger settings (only trigger settings) with the Cursor buttons.
- Press SEND (F4) to intiate the process.
- The C6 SysEx Manager window will show a progress bar as it receives the information.
- Once it has completed, click Save to place your saved file on your desktop.
To send your saved RBM-20 User Edits back
- Open C6 SysEx Manager application.
- Click the Load button.
- Select your saved SysEx file and click OK.
- Turn off your RBM-20 module. Hold down the Save button and turn the module on.
- The RBM-20 module window prompt will read MIDI RESTORE... WAITING
- Press Send on the C6 SysEx Manager.
- The RBM-20 module prompt will read MIDI RESTORE... OK
- Restart the RBM-20 module to hear your User Kits.
For more infomation, please visit elektron.se for more information.
Hold down the REC and ACCOM buttons simultaneously then turn on your Redbox module. The LCD window will read ‘Load the syx. file into the Switcher Program’ when done correctly.
(Windows users: If you see a message that says Windows was unable to install a driver, ignore it.)
Open the Memory Switch Program drag your Unlock file into the Redbox picture. The LCD will first read "Received Unlock File. Send Sound ROM Now‘. Now drag your purchased Memory Switch Kit file into Redbox picture and the transfer process will begin. The RBM-20 will check the purchased kit's metadata "Verifying Sound ROM. Please Wait’, and ‘Updating. Please Wait…’ when the transfer is initiated. If you're not seeing any results, please check your MIDI Interface selection in the Memory Switch Program:
Windows users: Select “USB Audio Device” (the RBM-20 module) from the “MIDI Interface” dropdown menu.
Mac users: The RBM-20 module will be automatically selected.
Your new Memory Switch Kit has been successfully transferred to your Redbox when the LCD screen reads ‘Update Complete! Please Restart Now’. Turn off your module and disconnect the USB cable from the back port. Simultaneously hold down the Exit and Save buttons and turn on the Redbox.... your Memory Switch Kit is ready to play!
Repeat Steps 4-7 but drag your saved Original Redbox Factory Kit file on your computer into the Memory Switch Program when the LCD reads ‘Load the syx. file into the Switcher Program’. Once the LCD screen reads ‘Update Complete! Please Restart Now’, turn off your module and disconnect the USB cable from the back port. Turn on the Redbox and your Original Redbox Factory Kits are back in the module.
*NOTE: If you have customized your purchased Memory Switch kit, you’ll need to save these settings using the bullet point instructions in Step 4.
To restore your User Settings for the Original Redbox Factory Kit, open the SysEx Librarian (Mac)/ C6 SysEx Manager (PC) program. If you correctly saved your settings before loading your purchased Memory Switch kit, you'll see a file titled Redbox. Highlight the file and click the Play button. The RBM-20 module will then automatically receive the data and your User Settings are restored.
Memory Switch Program video tutorial
Take a tour through the entire Memory Switch Process.
Browse through our most frequently asked questions.
Download the Original Redbox Factory Drumkits and the Memory Switch Program.
Download PDF copies of the Redbox Manuals.